14 June, 2007

Crusty Jugglers

It's day 5 of 5. Allow me to introduce my conference survival kit:


I've been trying various combinations of samples, with limited success. A milanxiang [honey orchid scent] dancong did not mix well with a more tangy tieguanyin. So far, the best by far was the sezhong + nongxiang tieguanyin, which my colleague and I thought deserved a name: we have called it the "Crusty Juggler" (following Hot Fuzz - a great movie, which is required viewing).

After lunch yesterday, I enjoyed some of the Sanhetang Yiwu Mahei maocha (from the makers of Xizihao) kindly provided by VL of Tea Logic. It was a weak but very decently-flavoured tea - sitting in the plenary session afterwards, listening to the protracted ramblings of an elderly professor, I could feel a calming, powerful chaqi radiating from my belly. It made an otherwise tedious lecture much more tolerable. Definitely one to bear in mind for the future if you find yourself in a similar situation...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

But what about the tumbler? Glenlivet? Oban? Lagavulin?

-Ian

Mary R said...

"Crusty Juggler?" Something tells me that was a conversation not to be missed.

MarshalN said...

Hmmm, your description of that chaqi and plenary session sounds vaguely familiar, except it's usually about some other green, leafy substance, and probably not drunk....

Steven Dodd said...

Yes, the tumbler is mighty deceiving. I can only assume there is decanted tea in it and not a bit of scotch.

小 約翰 said...

Hot Fuzz, fun movie .. hope they make a sequel .. john

~ Phyll said...

I can smell it on my office monitor...it's Kentucky Bourbon whiskey, y'all.

Oh wait, that's the smell from my styrofoam cup. Yee haw!

Hobbes said...

Haha... :)

Sadly, the brownish liquid is tea in a cheap hotel glass - I'll pack some proper cups next time!


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

tb. said...

Yee haw, Phyll?

As a Kentucky boy myself, I honestly can't recall the last time the cowboys invaded my state :)

"ya'll" is pretty prevalent however...

tb.

Hobbes said...

I thought yee haw was fairly bluegrass? At least, they do it in O Brother, Where Art Thou!


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

tb. said...

If Hollywood says so, it must be true!

Maybe it is... I live in Louisville which may as well be a city-state it's so unlike other parts of the state - a bubble of civilization of sorts. 30min out of town and it gets stereotypically Kentuckian really quick.

tb.