14 March, 2009

2006 Yiwuzhengshan "Douji Yiwushan Qiaomu"

Our fig tree is growing! It's... alive!

(Cf., 31 December, 2008)


Winter at Home


To celebrate the coming of spring, I dipped into a Douji cake that I've had since last autumn. I like Douji, very much. The 2006 Daye Qingbing [big-leaf sheng-cake] is one of my favourites, and though they've been more variable lately, the inexpensive Dadou and Shengdou bricks were not too bad (primarily because they reminded me of that 2006 Daye Qingbing).

Whereas the 2006 Daye Qingbing cost £12, when it was in stock, this sister cake from 2006 costs £15. Is it worth the extra £3? Frankly, even if it's only slightly similar to my dear old Daye Qingbing, I'd be happy to buy some.


2006 Douji Yiwu Qiaomu


Out of the wrapper, and the game is definitely still on: it looks decent, as shown below, with white furry tips, and some yellow leaves. I have no problem with eclectic blends, and tend to believe that they add complexity.


2006 Douji Yiwu Qiaomu


The scent of the dry leaves is that of soft, rich tobacco. I spend a great deal of time dwelling on it. This surely must be a good cake!


2006 Douji Yiwu Qiaomu


Thankfully, the soup (pictured below) turns out a fine yellow hue, which is sugary and fresh in aroma, with good duration.


2006 Douji Yiwu Qiaomu


What a shame that I went on and tasted it. While my first impression is positive, given that it is highly energetic and active around the mouth, it is lacking real flavour. It has a decent honeyed sweetness, and a mouth-watering finish - yet it's all empty, one-dimensional, and a bit of a disappointment. Plenty of high sweetness... but not much else.


2006 Douji Yiwu Qiaomu


Clearly, it has been produced from leaves of decent quality, as may be seen above - they are healthy and strong. I wonder if it simply requires a stronger hand, yet pushing the tea brings out only roughness and green acidity, rather than anything complex or otherwise pleasing.

It promised so much, yet delivered so little, and thus this cake is consigned to sit on my shelves to be revisited in a year or so. Little miracles can happen!

If this is "qiaomu", then I'm a monkey's uncle.

Ook ook.

8 comments:

Tony Shlongini said...

"What a shame that I went on and tasted it."

The dryness of British humor is only exceeded by its bite. Brilliant as usual, David.

In this world of finite resources and limited time, a recommendation to avoid is every bit as useful as a recommendation to try.

Hobbes said...

Too kind as always - it was a pity, because up to the flavour... so very pleasant. You can't win 'em all, though!


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. I totally agree that a warning is so very important. Without warnings, I would probably be drinking my Yuan Nian samples right now!

Tony Shlongini said...

Perhaps you can use all of your failed bings for skeet shooting.

Hobbes said...

Beermats. They smell great.

MarshalN said...

It might very much have to do with your storage facility.

小 約翰 said...

A year or so might be a bit optimistic.
Mark it “ Open in 2015”. Methinks the games afoot then

Hobbes said...

My current storage facility is a big pile of boxes in the lounge, evacuated from their home upstairs while we redecorate - poor things :(

2015... I've set the clock running!


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Hobbes said...

P.s. Kudos for the reference to Sherlock Holmes.