22 August, 2010

2008 Guyi - Yubang "Mengku Qiaomuwang"

I made a great mistake, the morning that I first drank this tea. I sat down at the tea-table, before breakfast, as is my habit, with a student thesis to mark. Silly me. Mixing work and tea is an error of the first order. Before too long, I found myself with a feeling of agitation, thesis pages covered in red ink, and without much appreciation of the tea.

Lesson learned.

2008 Yubang Mengku


A second sitting with this cake (kindly provided by Keng) was in order.


2008 Yubang Mengku


As with previous Guyi cakes, this one is instantly appealing - the long leaves, the darkness, the sweet aroma.


2008 Yubang Mengku


As with other Guyi, it is limited, but enjoyable.  This one is probably the least accomplished of those Guyi teas that I have tried lately, containing a sour bitterness, some pine-like sweetness, and a quiet aroma.


2008 Yubang Mengku


"A simple tea", noted Lei, as she took a cup in passing.  This is a fair assessment.  Not the world's best, but certainly much better when not taken in conjuction with attempting to mark student work.

That said, the student in question (after handing in pieces of work that I returned heavily red-penned) just turned in a draft of her thesis which is literally first-class in quality.  There's nothing quite so satisfying as seeing a student suddenly produce something brilliant. After wading through turbid, opaque prose for so long, her latest thesis draft has a pure, crystalline quality beloved of all scientific writers.

I love it when a plan comes together.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to find many of the teas you have reviewed on a english website!! your blog is one of the best out there!!!

Hobbes said...

Tuochatea.com has this cake for sale for $12, which is about right. It's a cheap'n'cheerful cake.


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

steve said...

Hobbs,

Your lesson about the separation of tea and work reminded me of the admonition by the writer Lin Yutang in The Importance of Living to avoid preparing and drinking tea other than when alone or with a friend or two. Tea was either a solitary endeavor divorced from the mundane or an intimate social gathering of like minds. There was nothing highfaluting about it, just a bit of advice to avoid mixing business with pleasure.

Steve.

Hobbes said...

Dear Steve,

You quote one of my favourite books! In fact, I recall lending our copy to Nada when he went on his first trip to Yunnan, as a tourist then, where he had his bag stolen containing our book. I should buy a new copy :)


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Unknown said...

Is this the guyi arbor king listed on tuocha?

Hobbes said...

I think so, yes. The wrapper looks similar!