05 June, 2011

2003 Menghai "Jiaji" Tuocha

Where would I be without the generosity of teachum from Singapore, Keng?

Significantly thirstier, I suspect.


2003 Menghai Jiaji


The "tiangan" [heaven stems] is an ancient scheme for counting - for example, animal years.  The first to fourth are, respectively, jiaji, yiji, bingji, and dingji.  Therefore, this tuocha is supposedly rather good.


2003 Menghai Jiaji


At the time of writing, it is a sunny late afternoon on Sunday.  Having completed today's household tasks, I sit down to a rare afternoon tea-session, with the all-important blessing of my dear wife.  I've hinted that life has been somewhat crazed and bizarre of late, with me undergoing various interviews - and this process is still dragging on.  Hence, drinking tea is becoming a real luxury, and one that I intend to enjoy to its full.


2003 Menghai Jiaji

 
Unlike lower grades of tuocha from Menghai and Xiaguan, you may see from the photographs that the leaves in this little fellow are longer and more whole than we might otherwise expect.  After drinking all manner of weird and wonderful samples lately (more on which later), I revert to the hardcore, reliable pleasures of Good Old Menghai.

The leaves have darkened, and have a crisp, woody aroma.  The storage of wheverever it is that Keng is buying all this lovely tea really is top notch.  I remain hopeful that the UK will be equally kind to our tea.


2003 Menghai Jiaji


It is a mighty tuocha, much larger than the usual variety.  The dusky orange soup that you may see above is already heading towards redness, and has a heavy, tar-like, sweet aroma.

In the mouth, it is woody, wonderfully sharp, clean, and particularly mouth-watering.  My skin tingles as the tea pushes its way through my physiology.  It causes the blood vessels in my mouth to pulsate noticeably.

Three cheers for Keng - a delicious tea that is aging extremely well.  I am certainly hoping to buy some of these.

12 comments:

Petr Novák said...

Dear Hobbes,

Do you realized that showing us teas (from mythical tea lover Keng) without showing where to buy it makes your perfect posts less perfect? Thank you anyway:)

Petr

Hobbes said...

Dear Petr,

Yes indeed - I know it's a bind. That said, quite a few cakes that seem unavailable are available on Taobao, which is very easy to buy from with an agent such as Taobaofocus.com (my preferred site).

I bet that a Menghai Jiaji is available in many places on Taobao. :)


All the best,

Hobbes

Anonymous said...

Hi Petr, thank you for upgrading me to "mythical tea lover". However, I am just like all of you, a simple tea drinker (and hoarder) who is lucky to have easy access to some lovely puerh tea. Cheers! Keng.

Hobbes said...

Perhaps I should be attending conferences in Singapore ;)

Petr Novák said...

Dear Hobbes -thank you for the tip When I will have more time I will try to explore this TaoBao jungle.

Keng-I am glad to hear that you are real. But can you imagine this pleasant blog with imaginary friend "Keng" Just like a piece of Hobbes's humor? I can :)

Enjoy your day
Petr

Anonymous said...

Hi Hobbes and Petr, when you are in S'pore for conferences or holiday, do cater some extra days for tea tastings. Cheers! I will be your guide. Keng.

Hobbes said...

I have a suspicion that were I to attend a conference in Singapore, I would not get much work done!


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Ron's Dad said...

Re "where to buy". On eBay, there's a seller called ldllu - http://myworld.ebay.com/ldllu/&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2754. Looks like their assortment is unsurpassed by any store in the West, plus the shipping is free.

I am awaiting the delivery of my own
Jia Ji Menghai Dayi Pu-erh Tea 2008 Raw.

(I am not affiliated with this seller and don't earn anything but good karma if you find this information useful.)

Bryan said...

Oh look! A spammer!

Hobbes said...

I let that comment live, because it didn't seem too spammy - 'tis just a link to the (thoroughly worthwhile) DTH, after all. :)


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Anonymous said...

I know this is a fairly old post but I am wondering if you're dating may not be accurate. There is a 2003 jia ji on yunnan sourcing us with a newer version of the wrapper. I found a jia ji with a matching wrapper on dragon tea house but it is 1998. Any idea which dates are correct?
Drew

Hobbes said...

Dear Drew,

It's always a little difficult to date tuocha from the early 2000s, but it's certainly not a 90s tea. I wouldn't go too much on the design of the wrapper - the design shown in the photographs for this article is a classic design that is used over many years.


Toodlepip,

Hobbes