28 May, 2008

To the Victor, the Spoils

This is a "good news", "bad news" post. First, the good news...

The haiku contest appears to have been a hit, a very palpable hit. It being a poetry contest, I was not anticipating a huge turn-out. I am delighted to see that I was wrong! I've sent e-mails to all the entrants that I have received - thanks again for the excellent submissions.

And so, to the bad news...

Given the surprisingly large number of submissions, and the fact that every entrant will be receiving at least a few samples of tea, I will close entry to the contest by midnight GMT, tonight (Wednesday). If you have some submissions teetering on the edge of being sent, do please send them.


Chadao


I can heartily recommend the holding of such a contest in order to introduce yourself to your readership! Of the 21 entries so far (representing 9% of the current daily readership, according to dear old Google Analytics), only 5 are from readers with whom I have had correspondence in the past. That's 16 new folk that I didn't previously know! I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to do so, and always encourage e-mails from readers (hobbesoxon at gmail dot com), as blogging is very definitely a two-way process.

Hint hint. :)

It makes me wonder... who else is out there?!

22 comments:

nada said...

I'm here

Hobbes said...

Hah :)

David Lesseps, LAc said...

HAI!

Hobbes said...

Howzat!

Brent said...

This <0.5% is here!

Hobbes said...

All 0.5 percents are created equal, but some 0.5 percents are created more equal than others!

< 0.05% :(

MarshalN said...

Lurkers abound. They're everywhere!

Hobbes said...

*Shakes fist*!

Unknown said...

Awww... I was about to blog about your contest at tippyleaf.com/blog but I guess I won't since you're closing it early! Poo!

I can't wait to read the haikus though!

Hobbes said...

Dear Joyful Abode,

They're coming soon!


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. I've not come across your blog before, thanks for the link - it's a good read. :)

Shane said...

I'm also eagerly waiting to read some of the submissions, I have a feeling there are some very good writers out there that drink tea.

Thanks Hobbes for the good fun :)

Anonymous said...

Haiku are pretty
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Hobbes said...

Dear Shane,

Coming soon! There are some good writers, yes indeed.


Dear Bamboovivax,

A classic :)


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Jamus said...

I'm in a haiku slump, but I'm here.

^__^
jamus~

Hobbes said...

Top 'o the mornin' to you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great blog and for the contest. I always enjoy reading your witty articles. And we heartily enjoyed making some haikus... what fun!

Hobbes said...

Dear Geospearit,

That's very kind of you, thank you - it's good fun for my wife and I to read them all, too. :)


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Anonymous said...

Another mostly-lurker here.

I've been behind on my blog reading recently and didn't see this contest until too late. I would have tried to put some words together into an entry, though I have no talent at poetry.

Hobbes said...

Dear Davidn,

Thanks for introducing yourself! Surely being behind on your blog-reading is a good thing, as it means you're spending your time more constructively... :)


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

PestProJoe said...

that is some good stuff. I love the images! Keep it up!

-joe
Do-It-Yourself Pest Control

Sobrina Tung said...

I always wonder the same thing about who is out there reading my blog... And even though I am always curious, I always hesitate when leaving notes on other people's blogs because... I will seem like a creepy lurker? haha. Anyway, great blog!

Hobbes said...

Thanks both :)