10 February, 2012

2011 Yunzhiyuan "Shangchun"

All of this single-mountain nonsense is a relatively new-fangled affair, in the history of pu'ercha.  Many of the classics are, of course, various blends, with sources that possibly vary from year to year.  Therefore, while it is a great pleasure to enjoy the latest and greatest from Guafengzhai or Xinbanzhang, a place in my affections remains for the nefarious, nebulous art of the blended cake.


2011 YS Shangchun
Chunky be thy name

A single-mountain cake can tend towards the one-dimensional character that we might expect from homogeneous leaves.  Conversely, a skillful blend can bring complementary traits from various mountains together; if done well, the result can be a symphonic piece, in comparison to the soloist performance of the single-mountain cake.

Blends are also great places to pick up a mighty bargain, given that they are less easily attributed to single areas.

I am greatly pleased to see that Scott of Yunnan Sourcing has some blends in his line-up.  Blending is a difficult art, and many of the Mainland celebrities of the pu'ercha world are blenders.  Scott seems to be quite accomplished in the art of bringing together different maocha - and it is most definitely an art, rather than a science.


2011 YS Shangchun
A little of everything


This "Shangchun" ["spring reward", as is Scott's translation, or "appreciating spring", as is my wife's] sells for a modest $27 for a large 400g cake.  As shown above, the leaves are quite small; they have a strong, grass-like aroma.


2011 YS Shangchun
It's back to the original style of wrapper for this springtime cake


In the first infusions, it is dense in the mouth, and hugs the tongue with its wide, grassy lower notes.  Some teas have a big "meaty" character, and the Shangchun is one of them.  You can really get your teeth into it.

The complexity of the blend is finished with a little caramel sweetness at the end.  Later infusions remains tangy and pleasant, while the grass character persists, reminding me of Badashan cakes.

If you are just starting out on your pu'ercha journey, or have room to spare on your shelves, then this inexpensive but chunky little cake might be good for a future bet.  It knocks the spots off the various blends from the usual mass-market labels.  I don't have room for it myself, but my shelves are already straining under the weight of tea...

(cf. Norber-T on the 2011 Shangchun)

6 comments:

NorberT said...

Hi Hobbes

I also find this tea very pleasant and well balanced and since there is still plenty of place on my shelves I bought a cake :). I also reviewed it a couple of weeks ago:
http://norber-t.blogspot.com/2012/01/2011-yunnan-sourcing-shang-chun.html

regards
Norbert

Hobbes said...

Dear Norbert,

Thanks for pointing it out - I've updated my article accordingly. It is a tasty cake. :)


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Dragonphlu said...

Hi Hobbes,

I was just wondering since I had some young Sheng pu and was terrified to try anymore since, is this cake or any of the recent ones from YS, fruity, or less smoky / bitter? I'm not a fan of tobacco, so I was really put off by sheng pu... However, as with all teas, not all of them share the same characteristics. Are there any you could perhaps recommend?

Hobbes said...

Dear Dragonphlu,

If you're after less smoky, less bitter shengpu, then perhaps you'd like to try either (i) older cakes, which are rich and woody, or (ii) some of the fruity, purple-leaf cakes.

The former can be bought in sample form from Essence of Tea, and there are some excellent examples to be had there. The latter can be bought from Yunnan Sourcing - you could try their purple "Dehong" brick, which is always nice, or there are a few "purple leaf" cakes in my "Tasting Notes" page that are still available to buy.

Let us know how you get on!


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Dragonphlu said...

Hi Hobbes,

Thanks for the recommendation! I was sitting a small tea shop today, and a man offered me some of the 22 year old aged sheng that he was drinking with the owner. It was simply superb. I didn't think sheng could taste like that - without the tobacco notes. However, there was no label to it, or factory. But I think I will try the purple bud shengs. Thanks for the recommendation!

Wishing the best,

Ari

Hobbes said...

Dear Ari,

What a fortuitous time to walk into that tea-shop. :)

You can't beat a good cake with some good company...


Toodlepip,

Hobbes